I took this picture a week or two ago on my visit to the Himalayas. Ok, I’m just kidding. You’re looking at North Sister and Middle Sister, covered with snow in the heights of Oregon. The black rocks in the front are former lava. You can see where the lava stopped, and trees are growing normally.
Himalaya actually means “the home of snow”. Sanskrit is so beautiful.
Here are my Top 10 Beautiful Sounding Sanskrit Words, in no specific order:
- Padma - lotus
- Madhava - husband of the Goddess of fortune
- Dharma - occupation, intrinsic nature of a thing
- Lila - play, pastime
- Nanda-Nandana - son of King Nanda (name of Krishna)
- Timingila - a great fish which can easily eat large sharks
- Rasarani - the queen of loving mellows or moods
- Rajarishi - a king and a sage; a saintly king
- Sharanam - to take shelter; be protected
- Chintamani - a touchstone; stone that fulfills all desires
I realize these could make excellent names. It might be quite eccentric though to explain the meaning of your fancy Sanskrit name, if it was Timingala.
As a native Finnish speaker it’s easy to pronounce Sanskrit, hopefully others are able to figure out the sound of these words too. Which one is your favorite?